[Python-ideas] SI scale factors alone, without units or dimensional analysis

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:55:04 EDT 2016

Ah, always mess up micro = 6/9 until I think about it for half a second.
Maybe a "n" suffix could have saved me there ;) For "long" numbers there's
the new _ so you can say 0.000_000_1 if you so preferred for 0.1 micro (I
generally see _ as more useful for high-precison numbers with more non-zero
digits, e.g. 1_234_456_789). Would that be 0.1µ, 0.1u in a new system.

Veering a bit away from the 'suffixing SI prefixes for literals': Literal
unary suffix operators might be slightly nicer than multiplication if they
were #1 in operator precedence, then you could omit some parentheses. Right
now if I want to use a unit:

$ pip install quantities
import quantities as pq
F = 1 * pq.N
d = 1 * pq.m
F * d # => array(1.0) * m*N

but with literal operators & functions could be something like

F = 1 pq.N
d = 1 pq.m