[Python-ideas] real numbers with SI scale factors: next steps

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 1 02:30:25 EDT 2016

Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> There's also the important nitpick if 32e7 is best rendered as 320 M or
> 0.32 G. There's valid applications for both.

If you want 0.32 G it's probably because you're showing it
alongside other values >= 1 G, so you're really getting into
the business of letting the user choose the prefix.

The default should be 320 M, I think. (Unless it's a
capacitor value, where there's a long-standing convention
in some circles to use uF or pF, but never nF. :-)

--
Greg