[Python-ideas] Shuffled

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Sep 6 14:12:51 EDT 2016

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > If your only argument is to continue to insist that Python should
 > have a shuffled() function and you'll write a patch, it will go no
 > where. First you have to convince people that the patch is needed.

It's not worth the effort.  The previous attempt (issue26393) to get a
shuffled function had a patch (which reduces to turning the expression
"random.Random.sample(x, len(x))" into a function), and it was
summarily rejected then, too.  By different people, not quite evidence
of a consensus, but put it this way: you're spitting into a gale.

That patch gets 95%, btw ... it had docs, tests, and a NEWS entry
first try.  I'd want a few stylistic changes, but altogether a
copacetic patch.  Even so, no mercy was shown.