[Python-ideas] PEP 530: Asynchronous Comprehensions

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:45:00 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:
[...]
> No really, I have absolutely no idea why you need to put that "async" in all
> places where Python can detect automatically if it needs to perform an async
> iteration or not. Maybe, Yury can explain.

I'm sure he would explain, but it seems I was first ;) [last-minute
edit: no, Nick was first, but this is a slightly different angle].

First, the "async" gets inherited from PEP 492, so this has actually
already been decided on. While not strictly necessary for a syntax for
"async for", it makes it more explicit what happens under the hood --
that __a*__ methods are called and awaited, instead of simply calling
__iter__/__next__ etc. as in regular loops/comprehensions.

Not a lot to debate, I guess. No surprises here, just implementation work.

-- Koos

+ Koos Zevenhoven + http://twitter.com/k7hoven +