[Python-ideas] An exciting opportunity to update PEP 3156

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Sep 13 16:47:58 EDT 2016

On Sep 12, 2016, at 03:12 PM, Senthil Kumaran wrote:

>I see PEP as the design document and docs as user-friendly documentation.  It
>helps to keep both of them up to date and in sync.  If an "Accepted" PEP is
>not updated, then folks landing on it will feel misguided or confused if the
>read the docs later. Presenting a cohesive story here is probably more work
>than simply keeping them in sync.

It's probably appropriate, once a PEP is accepted, implemented, and
documented, to include a link from the PEP to the definitive documentation.
That could be done in lieu of keeping the PEP strictly in sync as the feature
changes.

>The history of decision changes is tracked in VCS, if that is desirable.

Not just desirable, an explicit purpose of PEPs! :)

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/

Cheers,
-Barry