[Python-ideas] from __pip__ import

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:48:12 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:43 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2016-09-19 18:20, אלעזר wrote:
>>
>> Obviously
>>
>>     from __pip__ import "run-lambda>=0.1.0"
>>
>> Which is ugly but not my fault :)
>>
> [snip]
> One possible problem I can see is that if it's quoted you might think that
> it's an expression and that you could also write:
>
>     package = "run-lambda>=0.1.0"
>     from __pip__ import package

One surprisingly effective option is this:

import blargle.spam # Solution: pip install blarg

Comes out looking like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "useblarg.py", line 1, in <module>
    import blargle.spam # Solution: pip install blarg
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'blargle'

(in older Pythons, that says "ImportError" rather than the more
specific subclass, but same diff)

You can put whatever you like onto that command line.

ChrisA