[Python-ideas] from __pip__ import

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Sep 19 19:20:40 EDT 2016

אלעזר writes:

 > Another use case, though I admit not the top priority of anyone here, is
 > that of assignment checkers. In most courses I took at the university, the
 > person who checks the assignments says something like "you are allowed to
 > use only this this and this libraries", in order not to mess with unknown
 > dependencies from tens of students (I am talking about advanced courses,
 > where the method I use to solve the problem is unimportant or only requires
 > explanation). With this statement they can simply state "you can import
 > pip".

In other words, you're advocating a feature that allows script writers
to download, install, and execute arbitrary, unsandboxed code on any
machine where the script is run.  That sounds ... *scary*, when put
that way.  Remember, you're advocating this on behalf of people who by
assumption are infants years below the age of consent.