[Python-ideas] Generator syntax hooks?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 10 16:25:24 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Also, there's a potential issue
> here - consider
>
>     [expr for var in even_numbers() if is_odd(var) while var < 100]
>
> This is an infinite loop, even though it has a finite termination
> condition (var < 100), because we only test the termination condition
> if var is odd, which it never will be.

why is the termination only tested if teh if clause is True? Could then not
be processed in parallel? or the while first....

so maybe better to do:

[expr for var in even_numbers() while var < 100 if is_odd(var)]

Maybe it's just me, but I would certainly expect the while to have
precedence.

I guess I think of it like this:

"if" is providing a filtering mechanism

"while" is providing a termination mechanism

 -- is there a use case anyone can think of when they would want the while
to be applied to the list AFTER filtering?

Obviously, this is a contrived example. And certainly "don't do that,
> then" is a valid response. But my instinct is that people are going to
> get this wrong - *especially* in a maintenance environment.

sure, but would there be an issue if teh while were given precedence?

Overall, I agree with Steven's point. It seems pretty obvious what the
> intention is, and while it's probably possible to construct examples
> that are somewhat unclear,
>
> 1. The mechanical rule gives an explicit meaning
> 2. People shouldn't be writing such complex comprehensions, so if the
> rule doesn't give what they expect, they can always rewrite the code
> with an explicit (and clearer) loop.

me too -- a direct translation to a for loop isn't necessary to understand
how it works.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov