[Python-ideas] PEP 550 dumbed down

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 02:47:07 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> In short, yes, we can "dumb down" PEP 550 to a chain of maps.

I think it's also good to think about the actual problem(s) that are being
solved, without going too deeply into the implementation. It might be
useful to look at all the motivating use cases and to make sure this is
really the best way to provide a solution to them.

> PEP 550 does the following on top of that dumbed down version:
>
> ​[...]​

> 2. ContextKey is an object that we use to work with EC. Compared to
> using strings, using an object allows us to implement caching
> (important for numpy and decimal-like libs) and avoids name clashes.

​How exactly is caching dependent on the proposed ContextKey thing? To
avoid a dict-lookup or similar to get the cached value? But now we need to
look up the key object from somewhere?

[...]

> 4. Provides common APIs that will be used by asyncio, decimal, numpy, etc.

Which APIs? The C API you mean? Something that is not in Jim's list?
Something that is (not) in the PEP? People need to get a clear picture of
what is being proposed.

​-- Koos​

--
+ Koos Zevenhoven + http://twitter.com/k7hoven +