[Python-ideas] Remote package/module imports through HTTP/S

John Torakis john.torakis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:21:18 EDT 2017

On 23/08/2017 22:06, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 5:04 AM, John Torakis <john.torakis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dark times...
>>
>> So is it a "case closed", or is there any improvement that will make it
>> worth it to be an stdlib module?
>>
>> I mean, times have changed from 1995, and I am not referring to HTTPS
>> invention. This is the reason that makes httpimport just tolerable
>> security-wise.
>>
>> I'm talking about the need to rapidly test public code. I insist that
>> testing code available on Github (or other repos), without the
>> venv/clone/install hassle is a major improvement in my (and most sec
>> researchers' I know) Python workflow. It makes REPL prototyping million
>> times smoother.
>> We all have created small scripts that auto load modules from URLs anyway.
>> That's why I thought that this modules falls under the second category of
>> 20.2.1 in https://docs.python.org/devguide/stdlibchanges.html (I did my
>> homework before getting to mail in this list).
>>
>> So, if there is something that would make this module acceptable for stdlib,
>> please let me know! I'd more than happily reform it and make it comply with
>> Python stdlib requirements.
> Why can't people just "pip install httpimport" to make use of it? Why
> does it need to be in the stdlib?
It doesn't, strictly speaking, *need* to be in stdlib. Of course it
doesn't! Python is good enough without it.
But, as it seems like it is a very big feature (to me at least), it
feels right to be "officially" a Python feature. It feels right to be
officially supported and not just another module, as it extends core
import functionality. Just like zipimport does. Zipimport could just be
a 3rd party module too. But it is in the core, and I can see why.

Anyway, I will post it to PyPI when I finalize Github support and extend
the testing a little bit. I will then shoot a mail again and repropose
the module when it reaches full maturity.