[Python-ideas] PEP 550 dumbed down

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Thu Aug 24 10:53:16 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 10:04:58AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Jim J. Jewett wrote:
> > I know I'm not the only one who is confused by at least some of the
> > alternative terminology choices.  I suspect I'm not the only one who
> > sometimes missed part of the argument because I was distracted
> > figuring out what the objects were, and forgot to verify what was
> > being done and why.  I also suspect that it could be much simpler to
> > follow if the API were designed in the abstract, with the
> > implementation left for later.
>
> You're definitely not alone!  I think I get the gist of the proposal,
> and its motivation, but I'm definitely confused by the terminology.  As
> I stated elsewhere, the word "context" has a well-established meaning in
> Python, with context managers, their protocols, and contextlib.  When
> talking with another Pythonista three years from now, I don't want to
> have to resolve which context they're talking about based on context. ;)

I'm not happy about "context" either.  I'd prefer something more pedantic,
like:

   TaskLocalStorage, TaskLocalStorageStack,

even when generators aren't tasks.

At least that's what people are used to from ThreadLocalStorage.

The .NET termiology is explained here:

   https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/pfxteam/2012/06/15/executioncontext-vs-synchronizationcontext/

But that is more of an OO approach --- there are more "subclasses" of
ExecutionContexts like SecurityContext, HostExecutionContext, CallContext
and there's colorful terminology like "flowing the Execution Context".

Stefan Krah