[Python-ideas] Repr of lambda

Barry barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Dec 21 15:34:15 EST 2017

> On 21 Dec 2017, at 06:57, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> in theory, the "goal" is for eval(repr(obj)) to return an equivelent object

Is that really was the goal of repr? If true then we would not need pickle.

I have always assumed that repr of simple things aims to represent them
in just the way you would write them in python code. Repr of complex things
represents the obj as a useful summary.

Lamba seems to be in the complex end of things.

In debug logs I am often very interested in object identity and use the
0x123 as one way to know. Removing the unique id would be a regression
in my eyes.

Maybe what you would like to have is an explain function that given any
object tells you alll about it. help function does some of this I guess.

Barry