[Python-ideas] Add an UML class diagram to the collections.abc module documentation

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 30 16:17:45 EST 2017

On 12/30/2017 11:11 AM, Yahya Abou 'Imran via Python-ideas wrote:
> We can find very usefull class diagramm to understand the hierarchy of
> the builtin Collection abstract class and interface in java.
>
> Some examples:
> http://www.falkhausen.de/Java-8/java.util/Collection-Hierarchy-simple.html
> http://www.falkhausen.de/Java-8/java.util/Collection-List.html
>
> But when I search about python's ABC, The more detailed I can find are
> those from the book of Luciano Ramalho Fluent Python:
> https://goo.gl/images/8JGjvM
> https://goo.gl/images/6xZqcA
>
> (I think they're done with pyreverse of pylint)
>
> They are fine, but I think we could provide some other more detailed in
> this page:
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.abc.html
>
> The table could be difficult to understand, a diagram help visualize things.
>
> I've began working on it with plantuml and pyreverse, I'm joining to
> this mail what I've done so far so you can tell me what you think.

We have a few .png files in the docs.  Yours look like the beginning of
perhaps 2 nice additions.

A. Width restrictions suggest making the async branches a separate diagram.

B. Be consistent on placement of inherited versus added methods.  Always
list inherited first?  Different fonts, as suggested, might be good.

C. After discussion here, and revision, open a doc enhancement issue on
bugs.python.org.

--
Terry Jan Reedy