[Python-ideas] Python package index: query and rating

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:35:16 EST 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 11:07, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> I have two ides to improve the package index:
>
> Thank you for your ideas, but I don't think this is the right place for
> suggesting improvements to PyPI. You could try looking through the list
> of other Python mailing lists:

> Or perhaps somebody else will suggest a better place to raise these
> issues.

Hi George,
The PyPI codebase is pretty old and difficult to maintain, so there is
currently a project under way to replace it with a new implementation.
The project is hosted at https://github.com/pypa/warehouse and if
you're interested in getting involved that's probably the best
starting point for you. With regard to your two specific points:

> 1. Query like in a webshop: checkboxes should use to select from attributes

The PyPI search interface is known to be pretty limited. I don't know
what changes have been put into the warehouse interface so far, but
I'd suggest checking out the state of their search, and if you still
feel there's scope for improvements, I'm sure they would be interested
in suggestions/contributions.

> 2. It would would be good to implement some user rating mechanism like in the webshops or software stores.

This has been debated, both here and (I believe) on other lists in the
past. The general consensus is that it's not immediately obvious that
this would be beneficial. I'd suggest you do some searches to dig up
the history of this suggestion (sorry, I don't have any direct links)
and see if you feel there's something that has been missed - if so,
again the best place to propose this would be with the Warehouse guys.

Paul