[Python-ideas] Using Python for end user applications

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Feb 15 07:10:09 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 12:05:49AM -0600, C Anthony Risinger wrote:

> How do I redistribute and successfully install Python, dependencies, and an
> application with the least possible steps for the end user? For any
> platform or persona?

For Linux, Unix and Mac, where you can generally expect Python is
already installed (although perhaps not the most recent version you
would like), I think the best way to distribute Python apps is as a zip
file:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0441/

For Windows, it's not *quite* so simple, as the end-user needs to
install Python themselves.

> I prefer dynamic applications redistribute their runtime,

I don't. That means that when there's a serious security bug in Python,
instead of patching it once (the system Python), I have to patch two,
ten, a hundred applications, some of which I don't even know are written
in Python, some of which may never have a patch released, or if they do,
it may be weeks or months later.

> Containers are have greatly impacted how people think about distribution.
> There is a trend to use fast/small containers as CLI tools.

It's the future! :-)

https://circleci.com/blog/its-the-future/

On the other hand: https://circleci.com/blog/it-really-is-the-future/

--