[Python-ideas] Efficient debug logging

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Feb 16 09:20:51 EST 2017

On 16.02.2017 14:23, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>  1. you don't need a preprocessor for this: simply put your
>>     logging code into an "if __debug__:" block:
>
> The problem with -O is that it also disables assertions, whereas you
> may want to keep them at runtime on production for good reasons.

Assertions that you need in production should be written as
proper if-statements.

I know some people will disagree, but IMO using "assert" is the wrong
approach in such situations - it's meant for development and testing
only, not as short-cut to avoid having to write a proper error
handler :-)

If they were, Python would not drop creating code for them when
using Python in production -O mode.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 16 2017)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/