[Python-ideas] Delayed Execution via Keyword

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:34:15 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Joseph Hackman <josephhackman at gmail.com> wrote:
> ChrisA: I am not sure about collections. I think it may be fine to not special case it: if the act of putting it in the collection reads anything, then it is evaluated, and if it doesn't it isn't. The ideal design goal for this would be that all existing code continues to function as if the change wasn't made at all, except that the value is evaluated at a different time.

Yeah, I'm just worried that it'll become useless without that. For
instance, passing arguments to a function that uses *a,**kw is going
to package your thunk into a collection, and that's how (eg) the
logging module will process it.

It's not going to be easy to have a simple AND useful definition of
"this collapses the waveform, that keeps it in a quantum state", but
sorting that out is fairly key to the proposal.

ChrisA