[Python-ideas] Delayed Execution via Keyword

Joseph Jevnik joejev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:38:16 EST 2017

Delayed execution and respecting mutable semantics seems like a nightmare.
For most indexers we assume hashability which implies immutability, why
can't we also do that here? Also, why do we need to evaluate callables
eagerly?

re the thunk replacing itself with the result instead of memoizing the
result and living as an indirection: This is most likely impossible with
the current memory model in CPython. Not all objects occupy the same space
in memory so you wouldn't know how much space to allocate for the thunk.
The interpreter has no way to find all the pointers in use so it cannot
just do pointer cleanups to make everyone point to the newly allocated
result.