[Python-ideas] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:32:54 EST 2017

On 6 January 2017 at 12:37, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> <turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp>:
>> I've quoted Victor out of context, and his other posts make me very
>> doubtful that he considers this a serious alternative.  That said, I'm
>> +1 on "don't!"
>
> The "always ignore locale and force UTF-8" option has supporters. For
> example, Nick Coghlan wrote a whole PEP, PEP 538, to support this.

Err, no, that's not what PEP 538 does. PEP 538 doesn't do *anything*
if a locale is already properly configured - it only changes the
locale if the current locale is "C".

It's actually very similar to your PEP, except that instead of adding
the ability to make CPython ignore the C level locale settings (which
I think is a bad idea based on your own previous work in that area and
on the way that CPython interacts with other C/C++ components in the
same process and in subprocesses), it just *changes* those settings
when we're pretty sure they're wrong.

Cheers,
Nick.