[Python-ideas] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode

Stephan Houben stephanh42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:04:17 EST 2017

Hi Stephen,

turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp>:

> Private sector may be up to date, but academic sector
> (and from the state of e-stat.go.jp, government in general, I suspect)
> is stuck in the Jomon era.

I went to that page, checked the HTML and found:

Admittedly, the page is in HTML 4.01, but then the Jomon era predates
HTML5 by about 16,000 years, so I'll cut them some slack.

Anyway, I am quite willing to believe that the situation is as dire as you
describe on Windows.
However, on OS X, Apple enforces UTF-8.
And the Linux vendors are moving in that direction too.

And the proposal under discussion is specifically about Linux

So, again I am wondering if there are many people who end
up with a *Linux* system which has a non-UTF-8 locale.
For example, if you use the Ubuntu graphical installer,
it asks for your language and then gives you the UTF-8 locale
which comes with that. You have to really dive into
the non-graphical configuration to get yourself
a non-UTF8 locale.

Stephan