[Python-ideas] Things that won't change (proposed PEP)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 11 23:28:31 EST 2017

I think this is a fine idea, but I also think we could use a more verbose
FAC:

Frequently Asked Criticisms

Some of the same things, but it would focus on the "why" of many of the
issues.

Many of the things people (newbies, mostly) complain about are simply
taste, or legacy that isn't worth changing. But many are deliberate design
decisions that were thoroughly thought out, and have been well explained in
various places (i.e. zero-based indexing and open-on-the-right slicing). It
would be good to have it all in one place.

Maybe this PEP could be extended to include that, but it doesn't feel
PEP-like to me.

-CHB

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:37:41PM +1100, Steven D'Aprano <
> steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > Explicit self
> > -------------
> >
> > Explicit ``self`` is a feature, not a bug.  See the
> > `FAQ <https://docs.python.org/3/faq/design.html#why-must-self-
> be-used-explicitly-in-method-definitions-and-calls>`_
> > for more detail.
>
>    If one thinks that ``self`` is too long and tedious to write she can
> use ``s`` instead.
>
> Oleg.
> --
>      Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name
>            Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov