[Python-ideas] RFC: PEP 540 version 3 (Add a new UTF-8 mode)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 06:51:53 EST 2017

On 12 January 2017 at 18:45, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Victor, I really like this version, and the next time I update
>> PEP 538 I'm going to replace the en_US.UTF-8 fallback in the current
>> proposal with a dependency on this PEP.
>
> When using en_US.UTF-8 as fallback, pleas override only LC_CTYPE,
> instead of LC_ALL.

Yep, "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" is what the current version of PEP 538 has
as a fallback if neither C.UTF-8 nor C.utf8 is available.

However, that's also the part of PEP 538 that I think can just be
dropped entirely and replaced with PEP 540's "assume UTF-8" behaviour
instead.

I was already considering that as an option when I last updated the
PEP (see https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0538/#relationship-with-other-peps
), and now that Victor actually has a working reference implementation
for the PEP 540 approach, I think it's the right way to go.

Cheers,
Nick.