[Python-ideas] Arguments to exceptions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 21:22:07 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Jeff Walker <jeff.walker00 at yandex.com> wrote:
> I am one of those that also find you to be too negative. I find your critiques to
> be useful. You often raise issues that had not occurred to me. But then you
> go further an make pronouncements which I think go too far. For example:
>
>> the idea doesn't actually solve the problem it is intended to
>
> or
>
>> His solution can't work
>
> or
>
>> He hasn't demonstrated that there is a real problem
>
> None of these ring true to me. Rather it seems like you just don't like the
> approach he has taken.
>
> You are often dismissive of other peoples code, experiences and opinions.
> For example, in Ken's first post he used NameError as an example, though
> he indicated that the same issue occurred widely in the language. Rather
> than asking for further examples, you immediately dismissed his idea as
> 'code smell' largely on his use of NameError. That is a pretty derogatory
> response that really cannot be argued against because it is simply your
> opinion.

For what it's worth, I'm in favour of Steven's "too negative" approach
- or rather, I don't think his style is too negative. Yes, it's a bit
rough and uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of it, but it's
exactly correct. All three of the statements you quote are either
provably true from the emails in this thread, or are at least
plausible. If you think he's wrong to say them, *say so*, and ask him
to justify them.

Perhaps what we need is a "falsehoods programmers believe about
python-ideas" collection. I'll start it:

* All ideas are worthy of respect.
* My use-case is enough justification for adding something to the language.
* Criticism is bad. Ideas should be welcomed just because they're ideas.
* "Why not?" is enough reason to do something.
* PyPI doesn't exist.
* I don't need a concrete use-case; a rough idea of "this could be
neat" is enough.
* Performance doesn't matter.
* Performance matters.
* You must hate me, because you're picking holes in my brilliant idea.
* Code smell is inherently bad.
* Criticism means your idea is bad.
* Criticism means your idea is good.
* Criticism means your idea is interesting.
* CPython is the only Python there is.

As usual, many of these wouldn't be articulated, but you'll find that
a lot of people's posts have been written with these as unwitting
assumptions.

I'll leave those thoughts with you.

ChrisA