[Python-ideas] Custom Code Folding: Standardized Rules and Syntax?

Brice PARENT contact at brice.xyz
Sun Jul 16 13:58:51 EDT 2017

Hi Connor,

I'm also a Pycharm user (Professional edition for me, but I'm not sure
it changes anything here).

I didn't know about this functionality (if you're referring to this :
https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/code-folding.html#using_folding_comments
at least):

|//region Description
//endregion|

But in general, I'm not a fan of having those type of meta-comments:
they don't document the code or help understanding what it's doing, they
just help those who happen to use an IDE that implemented this and who
know what this means. And the help it gives is not to show something,
but to hide it. For the other ones, it's just polluting the file with
nonsensical (to their eyes) words.

Another aspect that I'm worried about when inserting things that don't
really belong to the code: it will be commited with the rest of the
code. And if you added those comments because it helped you during the
development of a special part of the file, it will still get pushed to
the repository whether it is still useful or not. And if it's not, it
will cost another commit to clean up, along with many potential
cascading and maybe automatic things (pull-request, unit-tests, build,
push to production which can be a huge thing if it's shared between many
servers and services for example). All for a comment that might be only
usable with some IDEs, and maybe even only useful during 4 hours for a
single developer.

But...

That doesn't mean that the functionality isn't useful. The IDE could
manage an external gitignorable file containg metadata about which parts
of the code could be folded as a pack. If there are many people who want
this, they might consider implementing it. But I don't believe this
should be implemented at Python's level. Code folding feels to me like
something some of us may want while some others may not, or not in the
same cases.

If I'm off topic (I might not have understood it very well), don't
hesitate to tell me. And to provide examples!

-Brice