[Python-ideas] Allow function to return multiple values

joannah nanjekye nanjekyejoannah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:17:49 EDT 2017

Hello Team,

I am Joannah. I am currently working on a book on python compatibility and
publishing it with apress. I have worked with python for a while we are
talking about four years.

Today I was writing an example snippet for the book and needed to write a
function that returns two values something like this:

def return_multiplevalues(num1, num2):
     return num1, num2

 I noticed that this actually returns a tuple of the values which I did not
want in the first place.I wanted python to return two values in their own
types so I can work with them as they are but here I was stuck with working
around a tuple.

My proposal is we provide a way of functions returning multiple values.
This has been implemented in languages like Go and I have found many cases
where I needed and used such a functionality. I wish for this convenience
in python so that I don't  have to suffer going around a tuple.

I will appreciate discussing this. You may also bring to light any current
way of returning multiple values from a function that I may not know of in
python if there is.

Kind regards,
Joannah

--
Joannah Nanjekye
+256776468213

*"You think you know when you learn, are more sure when you can write, even
more when you can teach, but certain when you can program." Alan J. Perlis*