[Python-ideas] π = math.pi

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jun 2 21:22:24 EDT 2017

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> There's not much, if any, benefit to writing:
>
>     ∫(expression, lower_limit, upper_limit, name)

More generally, there's a kind of culture clash between mathematical
notation and programming notation. Mathematical notation tends to
almost exclusively use single-character names, relying on different
fonts and alphabets, and superscripts and subscripts, to get a large
enough set of identifiers. Whereas in programming we use a much
smaller alphabet and longer names. Having terse symbols for just a
few things, and having to spell everything else out longhand, doesn't
really help.

--
Greg