[Python-ideas] Language proposal: variable assignment in functional context

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Sat Jun 17 03:03:54 EDT 2017

On 17.06.2017 02:27, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I think this is somewhat similar to a suggestion of Nick Coghlan's. One
> possible syntax as a statement might be:
>
> y = b + 2 given:
>      b = a + 1

Just to get this right:this proposal is about reversing the order of
chaining expressions?

Instead of:

b = a + 1
c = b + 2

we could write it in reverse order:

c = b + 2 given/for:
     b = a + 1

If so, I don't know if it just complicates the language with a feature
which does not save writing nor reading nor cpu cycles nor memory and
which adds a functionality which is already there (but in reverse order).

Maybe there are more benefits I don't see right now.

Sven