[Python-ideas] be upfront if you aren't willing to implement your own idea (was: socket module: plain stuples vs named tuples - Thank you)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jun 23 12:49:19 EDT 2017

Everyone, please be upfront when proposing any ideas if you refuse to
implement your own idea yourself. It's implicit that if you have an idea to
discuss here that you are serious enough about it to see it happen, so if
that's not the case then do say so in your first email (obviously if your
circumstances change during the discussion then that's understandable).
Otherwise people will spend what little spare time they have helping you
think through your idea, and then find out that the discussion will more
than likely end up leading to no change because the most motivated person
behind the discussion isn't motivated enough to actually enact the change.

And if you lack knowledge in how to implement the idea or a certain area of
expertise, please be upfront about that as well. We have had instances here
where ideas have gone as far as PEPs to only find out the OP didn't know C
which was a critical requirement to implementing the idea, and so the idea
just fell to the wayside and hasn't gone anywhere. It's totally reasonable
to ask for help, but once again, please be upfront that you will need it to
have any chance of seeing your idea come to fruition.

To be perfectly frank, I personally find it misleading to not be told
upfront that you know you will need help (if you learn later because you
didn't know e.g. C would be required, that's different, but once you do
learn then once again be upfront about it). Otherwise I personally feel
like I was tricked into a discussion under false pretenses that the OP was
motivated enough to put the effort in to see their idea come to be. Had I
known to begin with that no one was actually stepping forward to make this
change happen I would have skipped the thread and spent the time I put in
following the discussion into something more productive like reviewing a
pull request.