[Python-ideas] be upfront if you aren't willing to implement your own idea

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 16:09:25 EDT 2017

On 23 June 2017 at 19:28, Brendan Barnwell <brenbarn at brenbarn.net> wrote:
> So to put it succinctly, as someone who's found discussion on this list
> interesting and valuable, I think there is value in having discussion about
> "what would Python be like if this idea were implemented" even if we never
> get very far with "how would we implement this idea in Python".  And I would
> find it unfortunate if discussion of the former were prematurely restricted
> by worries about the latter.

No-one is proposing otherwise, just that people are open when starting
a discussion as to whether they anticipate being able to follow
through with an implementation if the idea meets with approval, or if
they are simply making a suggestion that they hope someone else will
take up. That's not too much to ask, nor does it in any way stifle
reasonable discussion (it may discourage people who want to
*deliberately* give the impression that they will do the work, but
actually have no intention of doing so - but I hope there's no-one
like that here and if there were, I'm happy with discouraging them).

So I'm +1 on Brett's request.
Paul