[Python-ideas] PEP: Python Documentation Translations

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 06:34:43 EDT 2017

On 22 March 2017 at 08:05, Julien Palard via Python-ideas <
python-ideas at python.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the follow-up to the "Translated Python documentation" thread on
> python-dev [1]_, as a PEP describing the steps to make Python Documentation
> Translation official on accessible on docs.python.org.

Thanks folks, this looks really good to me!

> So we can have "docs.python.org/de/3.6/" or
> "docs.python.org/3.6/de/".  Question is "Does the language contains
> multiple version or does version contains multiple languages?" As
> versions exists in any cases, and translations for a given version may
> or may not exists, we may prefer "docs.python.org/3.6/de/", but doing
> so scatter languages everywhere.  Having "/de/3.6/" is clearer about
> "everything under /de/ is written in deutch".  Having the version at
> the end is also an habit taken by readers of the documentation: they
> like to easily change the version by changing the end of the path.
>
> So we should use the following pattern:
> "docs.python.org/LANGUAGE_TAG/VERSION/".

That structure also has the advantage of being able to cope if we ever
decide that content like the tutorial and the howto guides would be better
maintained as unversioned resources that note any version differences
inline in the text.

My one request for clarification would be whether or not there would be
redirects back to the /en/ versions in place when there is no translation
for a particular version (e.g. the older security-fix only branches). I'm
not sure it matters all that much either way, but the PEP should be
explicit.

Cheers,
Nick.