[Python-ideas] PEP: Python Documentation Translations

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:04:31 EDT 2017

On 3/21/2017 9:18 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Contributor Agreement
>> '''''''''''''''''''''
>>
>> Contributions to translated documentation will be requested to sign the
>> Python Contributor Agreement (CLA):
>>
>> https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/

> I'm not sure about this requirement, but I'm not a lawyer. I guess
> that in case of doubt, it's better to require it?

Unless the PSF lawyer says otherwise, I think anything published on
docs.python.org should have the same contribution agreement, PSF
copyright on the collective work, and collective license, which in this
case made it possible for people to do the translations.

Filling out the online form is trivial, and people should know that they
keep their copyright on what they write and that their contribution to
PSF is permanent but non-exclusive.  (This is a much nicer agreement
than scientific journals that require assignment of copyright, which
occasionally results in journals suing researchers for re-using their
own writing.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy