[Python-ideas] Adding an 'errors' argument to print

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 11:41:58 EDT 2017

Recently, I was working on a Windows GUI application that ends up running
ffmpeg, and I wanted to see the command that was being run. However, the
file name had a Unicode character in it (it's a Sawano song), and when I
tried to print it to the console, it crashed during the encode/decode. (The
encoding used in cmd doesn't support Unicode characters.)

The workaround was to do:

print(mystring.encode(sys.stdout.encoding,
errors='replace).decode(sys.stdout.encoding))

Not fun, especially since this was *just* a debug print.

The proposal: why not add an 'errors' argument to print? That way, I
could've just done:

print(mystring, errors='replace')

without having to worry about it crashing.

--
Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura > ryo (supercell/EGOIST) > Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else