[Python-ideas] Add pathlib.Path.write_json and pathlib.Path.read_json

Bruce Leban bruce at leban.us
Mon Mar 27 12:43:53 EDT 2017

I'm not in favor of this idea for the reason mentioned by many of the other
posters. BUT ... this does bring up something missing from json readers: *the
ability to read one json object from the input rather than reading the
entire input* and attempting to interpret it as one object. For my use
case, it would be sufficient to read whole lines only but I can imagine
other use cases.

The basic rule would be to read as much of the input as necessary (and no
more) to read a single json object, ignoring leading white space.

In practical terms:

   - if the first character is [ or { or " read to the matching ] or } or "
   - otherwise if the first character is a digit or '-' read as many
   characters as possible to parse a number
   - otherwise attempt to match 'true', 'false' or 'null'
   - otherwise fail

--- Bruce
Check out my puzzle book and get it free here:
http://J.mp/ingToConclusionsFree (available on iOS)