[Python-ideas] Add an option for delimiters in bytes.hex()

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 3 20:24:50 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 12:13:25AM +0100, Erik wrote:
> I had a use-case where splitting an iterable into a sequence of
> same-sized chunks efficiently improved the performance of my code
[...]
> So I didn't propose it. I have no idea now what I spent my saved hours
> doing, but I imagine that it was fun

I'm not sure what the point of that anecdote was, unless it was "I wrote
some useful code, and you missed out".

Your comments come across as a passive-aggressive chastisment of the
core devs and the Python-Ideas community for being too quick to reject
useful code: we missed out on something good, because you don't have the
time or energy to deal with our negativity and knee-jerk rejection of
everything good. That's the way your series of posts come across to me.

Not every piece of useful code has to go into the std lib, and even if
it should, it doesn't necessarily have to go into it from day 1. If you
wanted to give back to the community, there are a number of options
apart from "std lib or nothing":

- you could have offered it to the moreitertools project;

- you could have published it on PyPy;

- you could have proposed it on Python-Ideas with an explicit statement
that you didn't have the time or energy to get into a debate about
including the function, "here's my implementation and an appropriate
licence for you to use it: use it yourself, or if somebody else wants
to champion putting it into the std lib, go right ahead, but I won't";

and possibly more.

I'm not suggesting that you have any obligation to do any of these
things, but you don't *have* to get into a long-winded, energy-sapping
debate over inclusion unless you *really* care about having it added. If
you care so little that you can't be bothered even to propose it, why do
you care if it is rejected?

--
Steve