[Python-ideas] JavaScript-Style Object Creation in Python (using a constructor function instead of a class to create objects)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 15 11:29:21 EDT 2017

This should be worked into a PEP, instead of living on as a bunch of
python-ideas posts and blogs.

I find the attrs documentation (and Glyph's blog post about it) almost
unreadable because of the exalted language -- half the doc seems to be
*selling* the library more than *explaining* it. If this style were to
become common I would find it a disturbing trend.

But having something alongside NamedTuple that helps you declare classes
with mutable attributes using the new PEP 526 syntax (and maybe a few
variants) would definitely be useful. Will someone please write a PEP? Very
few of the specifics of attrs need be retained (its punny naming choices
are too much for the stdlib).

--Guido

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 4:05 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 May 2017 at 17:12, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.python at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Whatever you all propose,
> >
> > coming from a java and c++ background, OOP in python is quite cumbersome.
> >
> > if you tell that i am not a python guy, then consider that current oop
> style
> > does not reflect python's style of ease and simplicity
> >
> > is __init__ really a good syntax choice?
>
> That's a different question, and one with a well-structured third
> party solution: https://attrs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
>
> See https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-April/045514.html
> for some ideas on how something like attrs might be adapted to provide
> better standard library tooling for more concise and readable class
> definitions.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --