[Python-ideas] JavaScript-Style Object Creation in Python (using a constructor function instead of a class to create objects)

Stephan Houben stephanh42 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:20:16 EDT 2017

Hi Michel,

> Comparing setting instance attributes to metaclasses is pushing it don't
> you think ?

My only point is that there are aspects of the core Python language which are
probably not covered by your course (and I chose metaclasses as a topic least
likely to be covered in a beginner's course).
So this would justify skipping an 'attr' functionality if it would be
deemed too complex
for beginners.

> My guess is that, without the decorator, the attributes don't do
> anything. They are just declarative hints for the decorator to do the magic.

I mean you don't need to use the @ syntax.

You can just as well do:

class MyClass:
   foo = attr.ib()

MyClass = attr.s(MyClass)

thereby stressing that `attr.s' is just a plain Python function,
and there is no magic involved.

> Do not over estimate the skills of newcomers in programming. They have
> a lot of things to learn.

I realize that. My point is only about the *relative* ease of learning
of the current attr.s
decorator-based approach vs. dedicated syntax. Perhaps both are too
difficult for a beginner's
course, but I would contend that the decorator approach is (relatively) simpler
(perhaps in the same way that special relativity is simple compared to
general relativity ;-) ).

My argument for that is that the attr.s approach does not introduce
any new mechanism,
but is just an (advanced) application of basic mechanism such as
function calls and attribute access.

Hope this clarifies my position.

Stephan