[Python-ideas] fnmatch.filter_false

tritium-list at sdamon.com tritium-list at sdamon.com
Thu May 18 00:07:05 EDT 2017

I ran a test on the same dataset using listcomps.  The modified version of
filter is still 22.<some noise>, the unmodified version is still 19.<some
noise>.  However the listcomp method is 41.<some noise>.  That performance
is important, at least to me.  Before you ask, yes, I have profiled my code,
and filtering is a bottleneck.

> Otherwise, I would support:
>
> - filter_false
>
> - or a glob symbol to reverse the sense of the test, e.g. ~ or !
>   as the first character;
>

> but I dislike functions that take boolean arguments to change their
> behaviour. It's not a 100% hard and fast rule, but in general I prefer
> to avoid functions that take a constant bool argument:
>
> # rather than this:
> function(important_args, True)
> function(important_args, False)
>
> # use this:
> function(important_args)
> function_false(important_args)
>
> (although there may be exceptions).

That is a fair enough argument.  In moderate defense of the code I posted
earlier, I did make the inversion variable keyword only.