[Python-ideas] Moving typing out of the stdlib in Python 3.7?

Michel Desmoulin desmoulinmichel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:45:17 EST 2017

> This is pretty much how I thought things worked for all built-in
> packages until this thread came up.  Is there any reason to not do this
> for all of stdlib?

Yes: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0206/#batteries-included-philosophy

I can't find it but there is a great story about a guy needing to do a
source code analysis in total isolation (not even a usb key or a cd) and
the computer has nothing installed but Python.

He gets by because Python is very useful "as is".

I can say the same.

When I log in on bare debian / centos or if I'm on a locked mac os. When
i'm on a place or in a remote place in Africa. When I'm with customers
locking down all the network with NDA, security badge and paranoia for
desert...

I can count on Python to be there for me and hashlib the stuff, etree
thingy, zipfile the foo and uuid all the bars.

It's a major feature.

I can live without typing, but I would hate having to pip install a json
parser.