[Python-ideas] Looking for input to help with the pip situation

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 6 17:48:04 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Michel Desmoulin <desmoulinmichel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know and you still:
>
> - have to use py -m on windows, python3 linux, python in virtualenv...

can't you use python3 -m pip install .....

everywhere?

That's what I tell my beginner students to do, and I've never had a
problem. (nce they got Python installed right in the first place) For that:

The python.og installers for Windows and Mac pretty much
"just work"

Linux is a different story, but Linux users are more comfortable with eh
whole idea of command lines and packages, etc -- so my Linux users have
never been the hangup.

If/when I'm teaching data analysis for scientific computing, I go straight
to conda, but for basic python, and most web Development, pyton.org python
and pip work great.

A also DO NOT introduce virtualenv right off the bat -- it is another
complication that is critical to real development, but not important for
learning python.

I have done it it the past -- it did not go well....

What's too bad now is that so many docs say "pip install the_package", and
users with multiple python installs can get burnt. (though most don't)

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov