[Python-ideas] A proliferation of (un-)Pythonically programmatic pragmas

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:58:56 EST 2017

On 13 November 2017 at 20:43, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2017-11-13 19:10, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> The specifics aren't as important as the general use case: multiple
>> tools competing for the same valuable real-estate.
>>
>> I have no ideas how to improve the situation, and of course any solution
>> would involve some coordination between all of these tools, but it's
>> beginning to feel like a losing battle.  Is there a better way?
>>
> I suppose that you could have suggest to them that they follow a convention
> such as:
>
> 1. There can be multiple pragmas in a comment, separated by semicolons: if
> you don't recognise it, skip past the semicolon.
>
> 2. A pragma can be prefixed with the name of the tool, e.g. "# flake8.noqa:
> F401": if there's a prefix, but it's not yours, skip past the semicolon.

An informational PEP defining a common convention for pragma-style
comments could standardise things. I'd suggest starting a discussion
(somewhere?) with the development teams for the relevant projects
(flake8, mypy, coverage...) with the intention of developing such a
PEP that they could all support.

Paul