[Python-ideas] How assignment should work with generators?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Nov 27 16:24:38 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> The problem is that it depends on internal whitespace to
>> distinguish it from augmented assignment;
>>

> Ah, didn't spot that. I guess the ellipsis is the next best
> thing then.
>
> An alternative would be to require parens:

But that would have the same issue.

Is this problem really important enough that it requires dedicated syntax?
Isn't the itertools-based solution good enough? (Or failing that, couldn't
we add something to itertools to make it more readable rather than going
straight to new syntax?)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)