[Python-ideas] Repurpose `assert' into a general-purpose check

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Mon Nov 27 23:35:45 EST 2017

On 28.11.2017 6:34, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> You are proposing:
>
>     assert condition, type, value
Not specifically this, that's just an example.

Actually, the way I'm using them,

     assert condition, "error message", type

would probably be the most expressive way.

> Why not just use Python as it is now, with this:?
It's the most expressive way the language provides to write that logic.
With Python's design focus on promoting expressive, readable and
intuitive syntax, that's enough of a reason.

>     if not condition: raise type(value)
>
> I don't see a reason to change the assert statement. You can do what
> you need without the change.
I can do anything in any Turing-complete language without any changes to
the language. That's no reason to never change anything, is it.

The rationale basically is:
* As it was intended, the statement has no practical use -- basically a
rudiment, due to disappear eventually
* It can instead be reused as syntax sugar to cover a very common use case

--
Regards,
Ivan