[Python-ideas] How assignment should work with generators?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 28 19:56:31 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 06:46:18PM +0000, Alon Snir wrote:

> I would like to mention that the issue of assignment to a target list,
> is also relevant to the case of elementwise assignment to a mutable
> sequence (e.g. lists and arrays). Here as well, the rhs of the
> assignment statement states the number of elements to be assigned.
> Consequently, the following example will get into infinite loop:

"This damn computer always does what I tell it to do, instead of what I
wanted!"

What exactly did you expect to happen? To me, this feels like a
complaint that writing `while True: pass` enters an infinite loop.

> Writing "A[:2] = count()" will cause the same result.
> Here as well, it is currently safer to use islice if the rhs is a
> generator or an iterator. e.g.:

This isn't merely a matter of safety. (Python is pretty safe -- I can
interrupt most infinite loops with Ctrl-C.) It is a matter of actually
telling the interpreter what you want it to do. How do you expect the
interpreter to predict that you wanted two items, rather than three, or
thirty-three?

This has little to do with iterators or generators. count() is a rare
and special case because it is by design an infinite iterator. Slice
assignment is perfectly "safe" with finite iterators:

py> a = []
py> a[:] = iter([1, 2, 3, 4, 5])
py> a
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Slice assignment allows the number of targets and number of values to
vary independently. I can do this:

a[1:4] = range(10)

and Python will happily replace the three slots on the left with the ten
items on the right. Or vice versa:

a[1:11] = range(4)

That is by design, not a bug, and the consequence is that you have to be
explicit (on both the left and the right) about how many slots you want
to replace and how many items you want to replace them with. We cannot
infer one from the other, since they can vary independently.

> In my opinion, it is be better to devise a solution that could be
> applied in both cases.

We already have that solution.

py> from itertools import count, islice
py> a = []
py> it = count()
py> a[:] = islice(it, 5)
py> a[:2] = islice(it, 2)
py> a[:0] = islice(it, 3)
py> a
[7, 8, 9, 5, 6, 2, 3, 4]

> Maybe a new kind of assignment operator that
> will be dedicated to this kind of assignment. i.e. elementwise
> assignment with restriction on the number of elements to be assigned,
> based on the length of the lhs object (or the number of targets in the
> target list).

I doubt that would work in your original case:

a = []
a[:] = count()

Since the list is empty, it would assign zero items from the right,
which would make it a no-op. Surely that's not what you want?

--
Steve