[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] What's the status of PEP 505: None-aware operators?

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Nov 29 12:40:21 EST 2017

I like much of the thinking in Random's approach. But I still think None
isn't quite special enough to warrant it's own syntax.

However, his '(or None: name.strip()[4:].upper())' makes me realize that
what is being asked in all the '?(', '?.', '?[' syntax ideas is a kind of
ternary expression.  Except the ternary isn't based on whether a predicate
holds, but rather on whether an exception occurs (AttributeError, KeyError,
TypeError).  And the fallback in the ternary is always None rather than
being general.

I think we could generalize this to get something both more Pythonic and
more flexible.  E.g.:

    val = name.strip()[4:].upper() except None

This would just be catching all errors, which is perhaps too broad.  But it
*would* allow a fallback other than None:

    val = name.strip()[4:].upper() except -1

I think some syntax could be possible to only "catch" some exceptions and
let others propagate.  Maybe:

    val = name.strip()[4:].upper() except (AttributeError, KeyError): -1

I don't really like throwing a colon in an expression though.  Perhaps some
other word or symbol could work instead.  How does this read:

    val = name.strip()[4:].upper() except -1 in (AttributeError, KeyError)

Where the 'in' clause at the end would be optional, and default to
'Exception'.

I'll note that what this idea DOES NOT get us is:

  val = timeout ?? local_timeout ?? global_timeout

Those values that are "possibly None" don't raise exceptions, so they
wouldn't apply to this syntax.

Yours, David...