[Python-ideas] PEP draft: context variables

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sun Oct 15 07:18:44 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 06:53:58AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I have a hard time seeing the advantage of having a default
> where the context at the time of execution is dependent on
> where it happens rather than where it's defined.
>
> IMO, the default should be to use the context where the line
> was defined in the code, since that matches the intuitive
> way of writing and defining code.
>
> The behavior of also deferring the context to time of
> execution should be the non-standard form to not break
> this intuition, otherwise debugging will be a pain and
> writing fully working code would be really hard in the
> face of changing contexts (e.g. say decimal rounding
> changes in different parts of the code).

It would be a major change, but I also think lexical scoping would work
best for the decimal context.

Isolation of modules and libraries (which IMO is a bigger problem than
the often cited generator issues) would be solved.

It would probably not work best (or even at all) for the async call
chain use case.

Stefan Krah