[Python-ideas] (PEP 555 subtopic) Propagation of context in async code

Amit Green amit.mixie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:34:01 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, see below for some more discussion between (it would be useful if some
> people could reply to this email and say if and why they agree or disagree
> with something below -- also non-experts that roughly understand what I'm
> talking about):

Yes, I understand what you are roughly talking about.

Also, yes, generators are co-routines [though when starting to work with
generators, people don't fully realize this].

But then how to address "my" original problem where the context would
> propagate through awaits, and next/send? From what others have written, it
> seems there are also other situations where that is desired. There are
> several ways to solve the problem as an extension to PEP 555, but below is
> one:
>

>> ​We need both versions: the one that propagates first_context() into the
>> coroutine, and the one that propagates second_context() into it. Or, using
>> my metaphor from the other thread, we need "both the forest and the trees".
>>>>
>> ​A solution to this would be to have two types of context arguments:
>>
>> 1. (calling) context arguments​
>>
>> and
>>
>> 2. execution context arguments
>>

> So yes, I'm actually serious about this possibility. Now it would be up to
> library and framework authors to pick the right variant of the two. And
> this is definitely something that could be documented very clearly.​

This is an interesting idea.  I would add you also need:

3.  Shared context, the generator shares the context with it's caller which
means:

   - If the caller changes the context, the generator, see the changed
   context next time it's __next__ function is called
   - If the generator changes the context, the caller sees the changed
   context.
   - [This clearly make changing the context using 'with' totally unusable
   in both the caller & the generator -- unless we add even odder semantics,
   that the generator restores the original context when it exists???]
   - (As per previous email by me, I claim this is the most natural way
   beginners are going to think it works; and needs to be supported; also in
   real code this is not often useful]
   - I'm not sure if this would even work with async or not -- *IF* not, I
   would still have a syntax for the user to attempt this -- and throw a
   Syntax Error when they do, with a good explanation of why this combination
   doesn't work for async.  I believe good explanations are a great way for
   people to learn which features can't be combined together & why.

> If something was not clear, but seems relevant to what I'm trying to
> discuss here, please ask :)

I looked for you quote "we need both the forest & the trees", but didn't
find it here.  I quite strongly agree we need both; in fact need also the
third case I highlighted above.

As for what Guido wrote, that we might be trying to solve too many problems
-- probably.  However, these are real issues with context's, not edge
cases.

Thus Guido writing we don't want to allow yield within a 'with' clause (as
it leaks context) .. I would argue two things:

   - There are use cases where we *DO* want this -- rare -- true -- but
   they exist (i.e.: my #3 above)

   - IF, for simplicity, sake, it is decided not to handle this case now;
   then make it a syntax error in the language; i.e.:

      def f():
         with context() as x:
            yield 1

   Syntax error: 'yield' may not be used inside a 'with' clause.

This would really help new users not to make a mistake that takes hours to
debug; & help correct their [initial mistaken] thinking on how contexts &
generators interact.