[Python-ideas] Defining an easily installable "Recommended baseline package set"

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 16:56:19 EDT 2017

On 29 October 2017 at 20:44, Alex Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:
> Writing scripts for non-developers, in an unmanaged environment (IT cant
> push a python install to the system) on windows means running pyinstaller
> et. al., on your script, if it has dependencies or not.  Its not worth it to
> walk someone through a python install to run a script, let alone installing
> optional dependencies.

Let's just say "not in the environments I work in", and leave it at that.

> Not to sound too crass, but there are only so many edge cases
> that a third party platform developer can be expected to care about (enough
> to bend over backwards to support).

I never suggested otherwise. I just wanted to point out that
"scripting in Python" covers a wider range of use cases than "can use
pip install". I'm not asking python-dev to support those use cases
(heck, I'm part of python-dev and *I* don't want to bend over
backwards to support them), but I do ask that people be careful not to
dismiss a group of users who are commonly under-represented in open
source mailing lists and communities.

Paul