[Python-ideas] Defining an easily installable "Recommended baseline package set"

Juancarlo Añez apalala at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:08:13 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> What's your proposed process to arrive at the list of recommended
> packages? And is it really just going to be a list of names, or is there
> going to be some documentation (about the vetting, not about the contents
> of the packages) for each name?

As I see it, the bootstrap would be a requirements.txt (requirements.pip)
with the packages that more experienced developers prefer to use over
stdlib, pinned to package versions known to work well with the CPython
release.

I think this is a great idea, specially if it's an easy opt-in.

For example, sometimes I go into a programming niche for a few years, and
I'd very much appreciate a curated list of packages when I move to another
niche. A pay-forward kind of thing.

The downside to the idea is that the list of packages will need a curator
(which could be python.org).