[Python-ideas] Defining an easily installable "Recommended baseline package set"

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 31 15:56:22 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:24 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2017-10-31 18:44, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:41 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com
>> <mailto:python at mrabarnett.plus.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     regex gets updated when the Unicode Consortium releases an update.
>>

>> Is it a feature that that is more frequently than Python releases? There
>> are other things in Python that must be updated whenever the UC releases an
>> update, and they get treated as features (or perhaps as bugfixes, I'm not
>> sure) but this means they generally don't get backported.
>>
>> Here's a list of the updates to Unicode:
>
> https://www.unicode.org/versions/enumeratedversions.html
>
> Roughly yearly.
>
> Those still on Python 2.7, for example, are now 8 years behind re Unicode.

Frankly I consider that a feature of the 2.7 end-of-life planning. :-)

> At least Python 3.6 is only 1 year/release behind, which is fine!

OK, so presumably that argument doesn't preclude inclusion in the 3.7 (or
later) stdlib. I'm beginning to warm up to the idea again... Maybe we
should just bite the bullet. Nick, what do you think? Is it worth a small
PEP?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)