[Python-ideas] tarfile.extractall progress

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Fri Sep 1 07:50:13 EDT 2017

Hey,

For large archives, I want to display a progress bar while the archive
is being extracted with:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/tarfile.html#tarfile.TarFile.extractall

I could write my own version of extractall() to do this, or maybe we
could introduce a callback option that gets called
everytime .extract() is called in extractall()

The callback can receive the tarinfo object and where it's being
extracted. This is enough to plug a progress bar
and avoid reinventing .extractall()

I can add a ticket and maybe a patch if people think this is a good
little enhancement

Cheers
Tarek

--